Wednesday 29 August 2012

Ten Vegetable Soup! A recipe

Remember my Random Vegetable Soup?

Well this time I went looking for veg to make a soup after spotting some attractive looking leeks in my local shop on my way home from work.  When I went in, I just picked up what looked nice that I thought might work in soup and here's the result...



It was lovely and so jam packed with veg it must be a super-food!  So here's how I made it starting with the vegetables I bought and then discovering some rather soft tomatoes in the fridge and then deciding to throw in a random pepper...

Ingredients:



sunflower (or olive) oil
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 carrots
2 parsnips
1 leek
1/2 cauliflower
1/2 broccoli
4 sticks celery
1/4 white cabbage
1 yellow pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
3 pints stock (I used 2 ham and 1 chicken stock cube as that's what was in the cupboard!)
7 tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste


Method:

Chop up all the veg.  Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic and leeks.  Cook for 5 mins over a gentle heat to soften.  Add the remaining vegetables except for the tomatoes.  Cook for 2 minutes and add all the spices and stock.  




Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins, adding the tomatoes 5 minutes before the end.





Remove from the heat and blend to your desired consistency.  Mine ended up quite a thick soup which I like but you could add more stock if you like it thinner.  I think it's perfect for an autumn day (or a Glasgow summer day like today where you also need warming comfort food!)



This recipe is so quick and easy I managed to make it and tidy the kitchen in my lunch hour!  The chopping takes the most time but you can be very quick and chop them roughly as it all gets blended in the end anyway.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100