Thursday 30 May 2013

Film Geek

by Roz

Last week I found out that my local Blockbuster was closing down and it made me sad.  I posted on twitter about the store closing and a number of people seemed bemused that I still used the store.  I love films.  I don't really watch much tv, I'd rather read a book or listen to music, and I've never had Sky / Virgin Media* in any of the houses I've lived in but I do love a good film.




Our local Blockbuster is pretty much at the bottom of our street and we've always used it, never switching to dvd rental by post.  I guess I've always enjoyed browsing for the film that best suits my mood and liking the instant gratification of taking it home to watch straight away.  We also went through a phase of using our Tesco vouchers to buy tokens for dvd rentals, which meant that it was free to rent movies, bliss.

I really would be at a loss to try and work out how many films I've watched over the years.  Bex has listed the ones she has watched on IMDB but I started and realised that it would take forever and I would never truly remember what I would rate the film if I had actually watched it years ago.  Writing this I'm trying to decide what my favourite film is.....and I'm struggling!  It's almost as hard as the AOW #Bookswap questionnaire!  I'm going to give it some thought but may be a while...

As a result of Blockbuster closing they are selling ALL of their stock.  All pre-owned DVDs are 68p, it's crazy!  I've bought Horrible Bosses - Jennifer Aniston's character reminds me of Bex!!!!  Hahahaha joking ;) - One Day, Ps I Love You (even though the book is much better than the film), Entourage Series 1...and who knows what else before the store closes next week.  B is not quite as enthusiastic as me at all the new dvds I'm bringing home but please tell me some of your must watch films and I will go and get them whilst they are such a bargain.

We do now also have Netflix in our flat, originally getting it over a year ago just to use the free trial!  At £6 a month we have found it really good value and in addition to the movies we have watched (it's not all totally out of date films, I watched Drive with the gorgeous Mr Gosling for the first time on Netflix and I have also recently watched The Hunger Games) I love the tv series'.  Now I know that's contradicting my statement above, but when you have a whole series at your fingertips it makes tv viewing more appealing.  I have watched and loved Modern Family, Gossip Girl, Breaking Bad, The Killing, Damages, Prison Break and more recently have started watching Dawson's Creek and have realised how bad the dress sense was in that show!




Will anyone else out there miss Blockbuster?

Roz xx 

* if we had Sky I would literally lose my husband to the world of televised sport!  It's bad enough as it is, he watches golf, football, snooker, darts....

[Bex here, just a wee note to let you all know I'm guest posting today over on my lovely friend Sarah's blog, Glasgow Mummy!  Read all about my (unfortunately rather disappointing) experience at the Marriott spa day I reviewed for her... Olive Dragonfly hits the spa!]

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I have so many memories at the blockbuster back home. You should get the classic chic flicks: 10 things I hate about you, Clueless, Mean girls...
And what about Amelie? And this french movie that's might be my favorite of all -times: "Jeux d'enfants", I think it was translated as "Love me if you dare".
And Dawson's Creek, you never watched it? It brings me right back to high school where I would watch each chapter religiously.
I loved Gossip Girl and Gilmore Girls so so much.

Unknown said...

Ooh Amelie is a good shout :) I did watch Dawson's Creek the first time round but am loving re-watching it. I forgot how raunchy the first series was with Pacey and his English teacher!!

Crysta said...

We don't have Sky or Virgin, but Corey still loses me to sport. Backwards, I know...but I'm slowly getting him interested in it, too :P

I never really used Blockbuster. I used to have a bit of a DVD swap with two friends, where we'd use each other as film libraries. One of us would watch something we loved, hand it to the other, who would then pass it on to the third...We'd do this with books, too. It was brilliant, and I really miss doing that! At uni someone in the house would have something to watch at all times.

Cheap films from Blockbusters: I'd second the chick flicks! When Harry Met Sally, Pretty Woman etc. Also: The Princess Bride, comedies, drama's...What sort of thing do you like watching?

And I'd second the Netflix love. The films there are getting better, but I absolutely love the different series on there, all the ones that I've never heard of, all the ones I heard of, but missed first time round due to never being able to watch the one TV in the house...

Unknown said...

I technically already do lose him to sport already, but I'm sure it would be 10x worse with the introduction of sky sports! We are also a one tv household so there's no escape.

I like all kinds of films, as long as they are not too scary (my imagination is bad enough thank you!!) or gory. I hate films with blood and gore just for the sake of it. Love the DVD swap, Bex and I raided each others collections a while back and it was fab to have so many films to watch :)

aDizzyGirl said...

we cancelled sky sports as it caused too many arguments :)

I will miss blockbuster, love the experience of going and browsing for a DVD - downloading a film on sky isn't quite the same.

P.S I have a cineworld unlimited card if you ever fancy a chick flick! I'm sure M would get you a ticket with his card in return for not having to endure a romcom or two...

Unknown said...

Thanks for putting your name at the top of the blogs Roz, saves this old geezer from getting confused :-)
Btw, don't think I've ever been in a Blockbuster shop...

Unknown said...

It's a date!!! :)

Unknown said...

Ha no worries :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100