Wednesday 11 September 2013

Pin It Do It - Recipe: Prawn and courgette pasta

by Bex

I often find recently that my favourite pasta tends to be when I have no pasta sauces and have to get inventive with what's in the fridge.  If I have tomatoes and onions then I'm pretty much sorted and we always have a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge for when we don't have real lemons, Nik loves to splash it on spicy crisps!  This recipe below was inspired by Rebecca's instagram feed when I spotted a delicious looking prawn & courgette pasta dish.

http://pinterest.com/pin/250794272972462827/

My version looks nowhere near as good, I don't even know if Rebecca made hers (I'd love the recipe please Rebecca if you did and you read this!) or if it was a restaurant dish but I used the same basic ingredients, pasta, prawns and courgette and I really enjoyed the end result!  Oh and my top tip - I love the frozen cubes of ready chopped garlic and chillies (and herbs) you can buy for a very reasonable price and with much less vinegar in them than the bottled or tube versions of lazy garlic, etc.  They're so quick to use and you can always have them on hand since they're frozen and don't go mouldy like my chillies often do in the bottom of the salad drawer!

Ingredients:
olive oil
1/2 red onion
1 frozen garlic cube (or 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped)
1 frozen chilli cube (or 1 red chilli, finely chopped)
3 tomatoes
1/2 lemon
salt & pepper
100g dried pasta
1/2 courgette
bunch of basil, chopped
100g prawns

Method:

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the tomatoes, onion, garlic and chilli.  Slice off a bit of lemon and add it to the pan and squeeze the rest of the juice in.  Add some salt and pepper and heat gently




Put the pasta on to boil according to pack instructions.


Add the sliced courgette and stir.


When the pasta is nearly ready, add the basil


Add the drained pasta and the prawns.  Stir to heat through and coat the pasta with the sauce.


Serve with a sprig of basil and sprinkling of pepper.  :)




We'd really love some more submissions for our Pin It Do It series.  Please do send them in if you've been inspired to make or do anything you've found on Pinterest!  Just click on the button below for more information...

Olive Dragonfly Pin It Do It

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It looks super tasty - we do a store cupboard type one with anchovies and olives and bread crumbs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100