Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Glasgow Rocks

by Roz 

Last weekend was Hard Rock Cafe Glasgow's official launch party.  To celebrate in style the venue had a music party weekend and all the tickets were free!  All you had to do was register on their Facebook page for the gig/s you wanted to attend and your name would be in the draw for tickets.  Acts included We Were Promised Jetpacks, The Fratellis and  Glasgow's own rockers Kassidy.  The only tickets I applied for were to see Kassidy, I've already seen them live twice (once when they supported Lana del Rey) and they are great, so the thought of seeing them at a small gig was exciting.



Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in winning a pair of tickets...but Lauren did and invited me as her plus one :)
 


Despite Hard Rock Cafe being open for a few months, I hadn't made it along to the venue before the night of the gig.  It's right next to Buchanan Street underground so really handy for city centre eats and drinks.  We went in to the bar for a drink before the gig and at 8.30pm on a Saturday night the place was jumping.  Sadly, despite getting two seats at the bar, it took us forever to get served.  The bar staff seemed to focus on doing the drinks tickets for food service tables and refilling straws etc. on the bar.  This was also a problem when B arrived later in the evening for a few pints after being at work.  If there's a technique to getting served in Hard Rock someone let us know!




 
We had to then head outside to queue for the gig, luckily it wasn't raining but it was very cold and they lied when they said doors opened at 9pm as we were waiting in the freezing Glasgow night for a good twenty minutes before they let us in!  Not that I complained about being cold at all.  Once we were in, we were given VIP wrist bands and lanyards and headed upstairs to the private room where the gig was taking place. 
 
 

In my opinion it's a great sized space to get the balance between an intimate gig and being well set up, with seating around the outside and a bar.  We got right up to the stage and took some pictures and then ended up watching the whole gig from there it was amazing!!!
 
Not the best picture but look I'm nearly on the stage!!
 
 
I'm sure the people standing behind us were less than impressed, especially as we were both wearing 4 inch heels and as Lauren pointed out I had a giant bun on my head!  Ah well, the band were ace and it was awesome being so close to the action.  Kassidy played a 9 or 10 songs in their set before coming on for an quick encore.  Sadly they didn't play one of my favourites, Gambler does the Gambler, but I'll let them off ;)
 
 
 

 


A big thanks to Hard Rock Cafe from putting on such a fabulous live music weekend for Glasgow :)

Roz xx

1 comment:

Siobhan said...

I don't know how you wear heels to gigs. As a 5 foot 3 shorty I have tried but I am so much more comfortable in trainers which usually means I see nothing! Oh well.

Glad you had a good time - it looks like a lot of fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...