Wednesday 19 October 2011

Recipe: Yellow Split Pea Soup

After the weather has suddenly turned Baltic this week, I really wanted to make a nice warming winter soup.  I have always loved Split Pea soup but only had it a couple of times in canteens/cafes usually.  I found this recipe via Google.  Again I have changed it slightly, the following recipe is my version...

Ingredients:



  • 50g unsalted butter
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 stalks celery, diced (I used a few more as mine were quite small)
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced (I forgot the carrots but luckily hubby had bought some batons for dipping so I estimated carrot sizes using them!)
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1.8L chicken stock
  • 500g dried yellow split peas (I was measuring using cups and forgot to add the 2nd cup, oops,  but it was still yummy!)
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced

Method:
Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large stockpot.  Cook onion, celery and carrots with salt and pepper until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.




Add the turmeric, stock, peas and potatoes and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour.




Puree soup in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Adjust the seasonings.  Serve immediately with thick slices of granary bread.



It was perfect, just what I wanted  (despite forgetting the 2nd cup of peas!) and really easy!  I will definitely make this again, even Nik likes it and he isn't a fan of lentilly soups.  :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100