Thursday 28 March 2013

Blook Club 2

This wasn't the second Blook Club (I think it was the fifth?) but it was only the second one I've been to and I didn't even manage to finish the book this time!  Oops!  It was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  I didn't want to read it too early but then I was in the middle of another book with just over a week to go and I hate starting a new book before I've finished the one I'm reading.  I managed to steam through to the end of that one (book review to follow - it was one of my choices for my bookswap person) and start the next one but had a very busy week and didn't quite manage to read quickly enough and had only got to about 76% by the time I had to leave Glasgow.

Linsey and I shared a lift through and met everyone else at Spoon, this meeting's venue.  I went in for the start to meet everyone (it was almost all different people this time so I met lots of new blook clubbers) but left before they started discussing the book so the ending wouldn't be ruined for me.  I went to a different cafe downstairs (with much better options for lunch and much friendlier service anyway) and returned when Linsey kindly texted me it was safe to return.  I was then up to 86% and had to keep reading, between the chat.  I apologise to everyone for being so anti-social!  I did manage to take a few photos of the cute cups and teapots (and cake!) though, I'm really loving my new lens...




I eventually finished the book waiting outside Ikea while Linsey was picking up some cupboard doors! I loved it despite being a little dissatisfied with the ending.  Apparently there was a mixed reaction during the discussion.  Linsey was kind enough to pass on the opinions discussed during the part of the meeting I missed once I'd finished while we drove back through to Glasgow.

I'm sad that the lovely Zoe is leaving us but very excited for her and her new job down in London and I'm sure she'll be back to keep an eye on us from time to time!  She's handed over the ropes to the fabulous Kirsty from asafemooring so we'll still be reading and blook clubbing.  I'll make sure I finish the book in plenty of time from now on!!

4 comments:

Gwen - TheFoodieHistorian said...

It was lovely to meet you and everyone else (I was one of those newbies!). Agree about the ending though, really dissatisfied by it. One of my colleagues said that the penny dropped about the whole book when she read at tr back it is going to be made into a movie, when she said that, it totally dropped for me too.
Anyway, looking forward to the next one :-)
Gwen x (@foodiehistorian)

Ashleigh said...

Oooh I didn't know this happened in Edinburgh, can I come to the next one please? xox

Amanda M said...

Hmm, perhaps Zoe could start up a London one for us Londoners?

I enjoyed Gone Girl - and I'm glad you're reading interesting stuff rather than dull, 'worthy' stuff which has always put me off bookclubs!

Bex said...

Gwen - ah yes I see what you mean, I wonder if they will change the ending for the movie though?

Ashleigh, I'm sure you can, I think Kirsty (asafemooring) is going to be taking over the organisation and Amanda I think Zoe does have plans to start a London branch! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100