Friday 13 October 2017

Spiced Parsnip & Orange Cake Recipe - The return of Pin It Do It! #ODPIDI linky

Its back!  Pin It Do It was requested in my recent survey and I am delighted to bring it back.  I missed it myself and have PLENTY of inspirational pins to utilise and get off my boards to real life.

Original Pin

To make it easier for you to submit your own Pinterest inspired projects, I've added a linky to this post so you can just upload a link to your own post.  I will then choose one or two favourites to feature the following month.  We also have a badge to put on your post (and in your sidebar if you wish), just click on it to be taken to the HTML code you need to add it to your own blog.



Olive Dragonfly Pin It Do It

So my latest Pinterest inspired project was this delicious Parsnip & Orange Cake which I made for Oast Farm's Harvest party!  We were honoured to be invited as regular customers and didn't actually realise it was a party in their home and not the cafe until we arrived.  Nik made a butternut squash and cauliflower cheesy orzo bake which was lovely so I'll share that recipe soon too, I had the leftovers for lunch at work with some veggie sausages!  We had a lovely evening with the Oast Farm gang and all of their guests and truly left as friends and not just customers.

Anyway, as for the recipe, it's definitely one I will be repeating.  And as usual, I tweaked it a bit to suit me so here's my version (without nuts and with my favourite cream cheese icing by Nigella instead of Nadiya's).  The link to the original is above and curiously states it is gluten free which seems odd as it contains normal SR flour.


Ingredients:
230g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground mixed spice
200g caster sugar
3 medium eggs
150ml sunflower oil
500g parsnips, peeled, ends trimmed and coarsely grated
zest of 2 oranges

For the icing:
150g icing sugar
300g cream cheese
125ml double cream
zest of 1 orange, to decorate

Two 20.5cm sandwich tins


Method:
Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C.
Grease and line the base of two 20.5cm sandwich tins.

In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and mixed spice.  Add the caster sugar, mix through with a wooden spoon and set aside.

Put the eggs and sunflower oil in a different bowl, and beat for a few minutes.  Now mix all the dry ingredients into the egg and oil mixture, along with the the grated parsnips and orange zest.  Mix everything together until you have a thick batter; about 2 minutes.

Divide the mixture between the two cake tins, and level off using a spatula.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.

The cakes should be golden and a skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
Leave the cakes in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack and peel off the baking paper.  Leave to cool completely.

To make the icing:
I love this super easy technique from Nigella.
Blast your icing sugar in a food processor to remove any lumps (no messy sieving) then add the cream cheese and blitz again until combined.  Add the double cream and mix again - this thickens it up and makes it so scrummy.

Sandwich the cooled cakes together using the icing then smooth the rest of the icing over the top of the cake and sprinkle the edges with orange zest.


Sorry the photos aren't great, they were taken in a bit of a rush before the party and I didn't manage to get one once it was cut but I'll definitely be making this again in the future!  It was so easy and worked well, it got lots of compliments at the party, despite the top having slid about all over the place on our walk down via our country path!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100