Tuesday 26 April 2011

Mmmmm cake!

Oh, the cake - I reminded myself yesterday about the cake so here is the (long-winded, sorry) story!

Just 2 months after being engaged was the big wedding show at the SECC.  I was told to be prepared to book things on the day as you can get great discounts and went prepared with flat shoes for a day of wandering round!  I was also informed about all the cake available to taste on the day, bonus!!  I was really hoping Mum would be able to come to a wedding show with me but she was due to leave (she lives in Saudi Arabia) before the big one at the SECC.  Luckily, thanks to the Glasgow Girl's Wedding Guide, I found another one in Glasgow during her 2 week visit that September.  However, when I went to book it for us all (Nik's Mum was going to come along as well as it was the same weekend as our engagement party) the event had been postponed until January!!  Mum wouldn't be back until June 2011 a month before the wedding for my hen night!  I was gutted that I wouldn't get to share the experience with my Mum.  I had already tried to cram as many dress appointments around my job into the 2 weeks as possible.

On the night before our engagement party, Mum and Rohi (MIL2B) and I were in the kitchen chatting and Mum asked if her and Rohi could come to the big wedding show with me.  I was utterly baffled and said it would be a bit of a long trip for her as it was 3 weeks away!  She the revealed she had changed her flights before coming and was staying for an extra 4 weeks to get to join in with more wedding planning with me!!!  I was so excited!  She had already arranged with Rohi for her to come up the weekend of the wedding show and they all kept it a secret from me to surprise me!  Best surprise ever!!  : D

So 3 weeks later, off we all went to the wedding show - Nik in tow in case we wanted to book anything!  He was allowed to leave after lunch as we went off for the fashion show.

We all had a great time getting ideas and trying all the yummy cakes and other treats to be found!  The best of which - and I think Rohi was the one who kept nipping back past for another bite - was the Truly Scrumptious cake!  Oh my god, it is so yummy and moist!  We tried the toffee, chocolate and lemon.  All of which have a ganache layer, chocolate on the chocolate, white choc on the lemon and caramel on the toffee.  Deeelish!  However, they are definitely not the cheapest.  When explaining the design I was after it was going to cost an extra £150 on top of the cost of a basic cake!  However, this wasn't a huge amount more than any of the other places were quoting for what I wanted - sugar craft green dragonflies, similar to this butterfly design I found in a wedding magazine...

Please excuse the poor quality, it's a photo of the magazine page!
I wanted a round 3 tiered cake with a trail of green dragonflies going around it similar to this one.  Unfortunately I wasn't willing to pay £150 for it!  We didn't book the cake that day despite both mothers trying to talk me into it (although they deny this) but they kept going on about the free cutting cake you get if you book the basic plain decorated cake on the day.  A very good deal but I was determined to have my dragonflies!  In the end I had a thought about what other designs I might like over the next few weeks and found these ideas online (unfortunately can't remember where I downloaded them from now as it was so long ago!)

First I found this one and thought it would be nice in greens.

Then I found this one which is also nice and in my colours.
Neither of these had the impact of the dragonfly design I had in my head though.  I really did want to try and get the cake to fit in with the theme as much as possible.  I decided I would try making the dragonflies myself as I had plenty of time to practice and would just have to get someone to stick them to the plain cake on the day.  Rohi then came to the rescue as she found these and these on ebay!!  They will make them to order in any colour.

Luckily, again due to the Glasgow Girl's Wedding Guide, I got a free ticket for the next SECC show where Truly Scrumptious were exhibiting again so I went back to book the cake having decided theirs was definitely our favourite!  This time I went with my friend Ashleigh who was visiting from Arbroath who was not only great fun to go with but also helped me to avoid shoulder ache from all the brochures we were handed as we took her daughter Lola in her pram with its handy big tray underneath ;)  This time the offer was 10% off which works out about the same by the time we added on the cutting cake which we needed to have enough for all our guests.  The best thing is, the chef explained that their basic range comes with the decoration as is OR you can provide them with your own decoration and they are happy to put it on for you :)

We went for a large tier of Lemon, then Toffee, then Chocolate with an extra Chocolate cutting cake with dark ganache as a certain Mr Nik is a major chocaholic!  Speaking of which, I have just finished making these Hummingbird cupcakes for his 30th birthday tomorrow!  Happy Birthday Love!!

Dark ones are chocolate butter icing, lighter ones are chocolate cream cheese icing!  Yum!
Post Wedding Update:





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100