Monday 16 December 2013

Hot Mulled Cider - recipe

by Bex

I wanted to make mulled cider, mainly to use the cute idea I saw on Pinterest - sliced apples with star shapes punched out of the core.  I found a few recipes on Pinterest but ended up using a couple as inspiration and making up my own as none of them quite had the flavours or ease I was looking for.  It went down a treat at baking club so here is the easy recipe I made, in case you want to try it over Christmas!


Serves 10-ish

Ingredients:
2 litres dry cider
3 apples
15 cloves
peel of 1 orange
juice of 1 orange
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1.4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise
2-3 tbsp brown sugar (add more or less to taste)
25ml of dark rum (optional)

Method:
Slice one of the apples and punch out the core with a star shaped cookie cutter.  Stick the cloves in the remaining 2 apples.


Chuck everything in a pan, stir and heat through for 30 mins without boiling.


Serve in cups with a slice of apple in each.  Enjoy!


4 comments:

Amanda M said...

That's so pretty - I'm definitely going to do it. I prefer mulled cider to mulled wine. I assume you can use any cider? It doesn't have to be the stuff without fizz?

Amanda M said...

That's so pretty - I'm definitely going to do it. I prefer mulled cider to mulled wine. I assume you can use any cider? It doesn't have to be the stuff without fizz?

Bex said...

Nope, mine was fizzy although not after mulling! :)

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed this, and the apple idea is so cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100