Wednesday 1 January 2014

January Diet

by Bex

So today my special new diet starts.  Probably not the diet you'd expect!  Last Saturday I received the appointment for my colonoscopy with strict instructions to start a low fibre diet 3 days before.  I'm booked in for this Saturday so as of today I am allowed no fruit or veg or wholemeal items.  I was a bit worried, especially with it still being the holidays but since I am allowed cheese, cream, butter, biscuits, white bread, white pasta, potatoes, mayonnaise, custard, fizzy drinks and meat, pretty much all naughty but delicious things, I don't think I'll find it too difficult.  So far today I have eaten macaroni cheese with turkey and hot smoked salmon fillets with bread & butter and the plan for dinner is steak and cheesy mashed potatoes.  Yum!  (Although I have to admit, I am slightly craving a salad!)

What I'm not looking forward to is Friday when I am only allowed clear fluids all day and in the afternoon I have to take 4 massive sachets of Klean Prep, a strong laxative :-/  I am not anticipating a happy Friday.  The sachets have to be made up with 1 litre of water EACH and apparently taste like salt water as they're isotonic.  I struggle to drink the recommended 2 litres of water a day never mind 4 litres of horrible salty mixture in one afternoon!!  Not to mention the intended results of clearing me out.  Euch.


I'm basically trying to think of the positives - it will be a relief to know what's actually going on causing my symptoms, as uncomfortable as the procedure is likely to be, at least I'll be sedated and hopefully they will figure out what's wrong.  Also, I'm going to try to view it as a bit of a detox.  Since I will be utterly emptied, I have stocked up on probiotic drinks to help get lots of friendly bacteria inside me as soon as I can eat again and after I've recovered I will be getting right back to my healthy eating, swimming and walking like I was doing in the run up to Christmas.  I want to be as fit, happy and healthy as I can be in 2014.

4 comments:

Becca said...

Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed for you on this. Will be thinking of you x x

Penny said...

Will be thinking of you on Saturday. Happy new year lovely! Hope this one is as good as it can possibly be. Wishing you hope and strength for every step.

Px

Penny said...

Will be thinking of you on Saturday. Happy new year lovely! Hope this one is as good as it can possibly be. Wishing you hope and strength for every step.

Px

Vonnie said...

Urgh, this sounds rough. Good luck tomorrow x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100