Friday 12 January 2018

The Greatest Showman - review by Bex

On Wednesday night I had a spontaneous night out with my friend Zoe.  She had a 2 for 1 voucher for the cinema and wanted to see The Greatest Showman before it finished showing in our local cinema, Uckfield Picture House.  I hadn't been that bothered about seeing it but no-one else could go with her and I thought it would be nice to spend some time with her sans kids as we'd never managed it before.


I also had new boots and sequins I hadn't had a chance to wear on a night out yet so I figured it would be fun to get a bit dressed up ;)



I'm so glad I went, we had a brilliant night!  It was so lovely getting to know Zoe a bit better without the constant interruptions of the kids and we decided to grab something to eat first too since both of our husbands were home early (a rare occurrence for both of us)!  We headed to Thai Terre for a quick dinner and a beer before the film and our food came really fast which was ideal.  I had my favourite, Pad See-Ew with chicken - delicious as always and Zoe had the red Thai curry.

As for the film itself, I loved it!  Like, really really loved it.  Despite not being 100% sure of the story and not a massive fan of musicals per se (I like them I just wouldn't usually make a bee-line to the cinema to see one), I was immediately sucked into the atmosphere and had actual goosebumps from the opening scene!  The singing, while not always perfect, was good, fun and fitted the story well.  Two songs in particular stood out, one being the trapeze scene with Zac Efron and Zendaya (who is stunning, particularly with the pink hair - love it).


I'm actually tempted to buy the soundtrack.  The lyrics are amazing.

"But I won't let them break me down to dust I know that there's a place for us For we are glorious When the sharpest words wanna cut me down I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out I am brave, I am bruised I am who I'm meant to be, this is me Look out 'cause here I come And I'm marching on to the beat I drum I'm not scared to be seen I make no apologies, this is me"

If, like me, you're not sure of the storyline, it's basically about a poor boy with a big imagination and dreams, who grows up to become The Greatest Showman who creates a circus.  How he does it, who with and what happens next are all fairly predictable but told well.  I loved the whole cast, particularly the bearded lady who is awesome and sings those lyrics above.  The costumes are stunning, the gold leotard is my favourite, plus all the amazing Victorian dresses and boots, oh and the ringmaster costumes.  And Jenny Lind's dresses!


Side note: I also feel less creepy fancying Zac Efron now he's grown up!  ;)


There's romance, politics, history, fun, adventure, family, awesome characters, amazing trapeze and dance scenes and some fab songs.  The bit at the start with the young Phineas and Charity getting to know each other had such beautiful tones and lighting, I wanted to be there with my camera!  It's inspired me with a few ideas for my bexphoto 365 project.  It was a great way to spend a couple of hours, especially in our lovely Uckfield Picture House, it's so comfy and they have a great choice of beverages and food (you can get coffee or a glass of fizz, ice-cream or good old popcorn).  It's such a beautiful old building as well.


I would definitely recommend both the film and the Picture House and you may have already seen my full review of Thai Terre.  The Greatest Showman has finished showing now in Uckfield but catch it on DVD when it comes out if you fancy a beautiful, fun, feelgood film.  I want to see it again!

All photos via IMDB.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100